Associated Press – September 15, 2010 4:14 AM ET
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) – think earthquakes and you may not immediately think Illinois.
But authorities say earthquakes can and do occur in the state and they’re urging Illinoisans to become more aware of how to react.
The Illinois Emergency Management Agency says residents should start thinking about participating in an earthquake preparedness drill called “The great Central U.S. ShakeOut.”
It takes place on April 28 next year.
Last year, more than one million people in Illinois and seven other states in and around the new Madrid Seismic Zone took part.
IEMA’s interim director, Joe Klinger, notes 1 of the most powerful earthquakes in the continental U.S. occurred along the new Madrid 200 years ago. and he says there’s a clear risk of another such earthquake.
On the Net:
The great Central U.S. ShakeOut: http://www.shakeout.org/centralus
Copyright 2010 the Associated Press. All rights reserved. this material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 1,000 emergency responders converge for conference – KWQC-TV6 News and Weather For The Quad Cities -
- ‘Great Central U.S. ShakeOut’ earthquake drill
- CBS4 RTV4 WHBF Quad Cities, IL / IA News Weather Sports1,000 emergency responders converge for conference
- Could The Gulf Of Mexico Oil Spill Cause A Massive Earthquake …
- Following Two Successful California “ShakeOuts,” Major Earthquake …