“They [emergency workers] have cleared the area. It is now safe for motorists to drive along the Golden Highway,” said Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar.
The Golden Highway off-ramp and the air space around it were closed from 10am on Tuesday because of a gas leak at an ABI depot in Soweto.
“We are currently at the ABI [Amalgamated Beverage Industries] depot next to the Golden Highway and the N1 off-ramp… there was digging on the premises when one of the gas pipes was damaged,” Johannesburg emergency services spokeswoman Nana Radebe said at the time.
Emergency workers were trying to suppress the leak with water.
More than 25 fire-fighters were on the scene.
One woman had complained of having difficulty breathing was taken to a private hospital.
“We have also put Chris Hani-Baragwanath hospital on high alert for any incidents related to people inhaling the gas,” said Radebe.
- On highway through the heart of Katrina country, signs of progress …
- Update: Water Restored At Moses Cone Hospital digtriad.com | Triad …
- Recreational fishing reopens at mouth of Mississippi River
- Worker, firefighter injured in chemical fire
- Hannibal Fire Dept. has no more requests for rescues : News : KHQA