On June 23rd, Canada experienced an Earthquake was felt in Michigan (my home state) as well as neighboring states such as Ohio, Wisconsin and Delaware. We seldom experience Earthquakes so this one which had a magnitude of 5.0, has us talking quite a bit.
Earthquakes may be uncommon in this area but it’s still important to be prepared. Below are ways to prepare yourself, take saftey precautions and recover from an earthquake.
- Become familiar with your community’s disaster preparedness plan.
- Teach family members how to shut off water, gas and electricity to the house.
- Purchase at least one multi-purpose dry chemical fire extinguisher.
- Install smoke detectors and change the batteries every six months.
- Prepare an emergency supplies kit including a three day supply of bottled water and non-perishable food, as well as a manual can opener, paper plates, cups, utensils, first-aid kit, flashlight and battery-operated radio with extra batteries.
- At the first sign of an earthquake, drop and take cover under a sturdy piece of furniture or against an inside wall away from objects that may fall