- What are Earthquake Mitigation Measures?
- Why Secure your Home Contents?
- How to Secure the Contents of your Home?
What are Earthquake Mitigation Measures?
Earthquake mitigation measures are simple techniques to secure non-structural components and contents of your home to the studs of the interior walls and/or the floors in order to reduce the risk to lives and investments. Self-mitigation techniques can be undertaken by homeowners using inexpensive hardware tools and materials found in hardware stores and home centers as they are simple to explain and require no special expertise to implement.
Why Secure your Home Contents?
According to a glance from the University of California in Los Angeles, 55% of the injuries during the 1994 Northridge earthquake were caused by falling furniture or objects while only 1% of injuries were caused by building damage. Other injuries were due to people falling or behaving dangerously. Many of these injuries could have been prevented through simple actions taken before the earthquake. Therefore, you should secure anything in your home that is heavy enough to hurt if it falls on you, or fragile and expensive enough to be a significant loss if it falls. In addition, secure items in your garage to reduce damage to vehicles. The benefits of earthquake mitigation measures go well beyond being simply reducing financial losses as it will make your home safer and help in returning your family much more fleet support to their normal life style.
How to Secure your Home Contents?
The following disaster mitigation techniques are simple actions you can do today
- Earthquake preparedness and mitigation measures – Ensuring the …
- Earthquake Preparedness Team Encouraging Chilean To Undertake Seismic Mitigation
- Could multi-year homeowners insurance policies help mitigation catch on …
- Hurricane Preparedness is in Your Hands
- Earthquake Preparedness Tips for Homeowners to Prevent Loss due to …